Wednesday, February 18, 2009

International Studies... was it a total waste of time.

I just realized that I have never earned even a single dime from taking up my first course in College (IS). It has never given me any job whatsoever and probably never will. So, was it a total waste of my time?

Most of my other classmates ended up being call center agents. It would have been better for them to have taken up courses like Marketing, Sales or English Literature, as those courses would have helped them more in becoming better agents. Some ended up in totally different fields of profession that are not even remotely connected to Political Science or the social sciences.

Granted, there were a few, who ended up in the IS related jobs, like researchers, congress staffs etc. A few ended up taking up law. But, how many are they? What percentage of the total IS graduates do they represent? Out of 90+ IS graduates in 2002, how many ended up in those kinds of jobs? 6, 7? 10? Really?! If this is the case, then in my opinion, the IS department (or any political science department for that matter) should not be taking in more than 30 new students per year.

If I would be able to turn back time, I would have taken up an IT course from the very beginning instead.

No comments: